Are you ready to start eating more healthy, but not ready to alter your lifestyle completely? Incorporating small changes may just be the answer for you. Below is a list of five ways to eat healthy starting now!
1. Eat more fruits and veggies! Okay, we know this, but what is the easy way to it? Well, try to incorporate it into your weekly (or biweekly) routine shopping trip. Don’t over buy, instead, make a plan to eat 5 apples, 3 bananas, and finish a bag of baby carrots that week. You can change this, but have a goal to eat what you buy before you return to the store. Buy what you like and enjoy, and go for fresh and uncooked, or at least steamed to preserve their nutritional value.
2. Keep hydrated! Make a habit of drinking a glass of water with each meal, along with whatever else you decide to drink. Get one or more containers that equal 64 ounces, fill them up nightly, and make sure they are gone by the end of each day.
3. Try one “super” healthy food a week until you find one you can’t live without. Buy it when you go on your routine shopping trip and plan to finish it by the time you go shopping again. Almonds? Goji Berries? Green Tea…..do some research, or look back at previous blogs and find something great to try. It gives you some healthy and full-filling snack ideas as well.
4. If you have a habit of eating out, change at least one day into a healthy lunch/dinner. This will probably work best the day after you go to the store: you will already have some fruits and veggies, a new healthy snack, and your bottle of water! Before you know it, you will be packing your lunch every day!
5. My last suggestion would be to start reading labels as you shop. You might find a gem….For instance, I had a habit of buying the “cheap” bread at the store. I then realized that despite the cost of the “healthier” bread, it had bigger slices, was more filling, contained omega-3 oils, and was free of high fructose corn syrup! AND, it obviously tastes a lot better and made me make some awesome sandwiches for lunch!
Small changes like these above can result into some great eating habits! Even if you just try a couple of the above, you may be amazed at the many ways to eat healthy there are!