If you have diabetes, it’s important to take extra care when choosing which healthy foods to eat. In general, eating meals that have carbohydrates, fat and protein in good balance will help stabilize blood sugar, there are some healthy foods you can choose that will also have heart health benefits. In this guide we’ll give you a list of some of the best heart healthy foods that diabetics can choose along with some ways to incorporate them into your daily diet.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are high in antioxidants and are also low on the glycemic index so they’re likely to help your blood sugar levels. Try adding blueberries to muffins or to a bowl of cereal. Also great plain as a snack along with a few nuts.
- Salmon – This wonderfully flavored fish is high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Most people with diabetes are at risk for high cholesterol and consuming enough Omega-3 can help reduce the risks. Try basting on some olive oil and garlic and then grilling.
- Oatmeal – High in fiber (particularly helpful if you take Metformin or another diabetic medication that can cause digestive issues). Oatmeal also contains magnesium, potassium and calcium. A bowl for breakfast along with a protein shake or chicken sausage makes for a filling meal that is also well balanced.
- Almonds & Walnuts – Great sources of Omega-3 fatty acids and they’re both high in vitamin E. Nuts have a naturally high fat content so are great to pair with foods that are higher in carbohydrates to limit a blood sugar increase. Try combining nuts with pretzels and cheese for a great afternoon snack. You can also crush nuts as a topping to chicken instead of using a traditional breading.
- Spinach – Diabetics need more vitamin B than the rest of the population and spinach is a great source for all the B-complex vitamins. Spinach is a great salad green. Use it plain or mix it with other greens for a terrific salad.
Eating right is an important way to keep your diabetes in check. Try incorporating a few of our suggested heart healthy foods for diabetics into your next meal plan.